Health Insurance for J1 and J2 visiting scholars

Data_Info_Graphic– the Harvard International Office recommends using Wallach and Company to insure people traveling to the USA who need health coverage. See the attached brochure. On the last page of the brochure is a worksheet for figuring out how much the coverage will cost.


Right now, the cost is $15 for enrollment + $5.75 per day, so you can do the math.

eg, for a 10 day visit by one person, it would cost: ($15 + ($5.75 x 10))= $72.50

I spoke with a representative of Wallach and Co. over the phone and described our situation (with the visiting J Scholars), and she said that the estimate I gave her was correct and that they regularly provide health insurance for visitors,

Below is a list of minimum requirements (from the US Gov website)- Wallach and Company meets or exceeds all the standards noted below;



Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits [22 CFR 62.14].

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Sponsors are to require that their participants (and any dependents entering the United States as holders of a J-2 visa) have insurance in effect during the period of time they are in the sponsor’s program. An insurance policy secured to meet the benefits requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-I” or above, a Standard and Poor’s Claims Paying Ability rating of “A-” or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant’s policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country. For other options, see [22 CFR 62.14].

Program regulations also discuss coverage through HMOs and self-insurance of the above requirements by federal, state or local government agencies, state colleges and universities, and public community colleges, if permitted by law. Refer to [22 CFR 62.14] for additional information.


One thought on “Health Insurance for J1 and J2 visiting scholars

  1. Pingback: Health Insurance for J1 and J2 visiting scholars | Health Insurance for Expatriates

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s